as a volunteer, intern or paid teacher
Why take an (online) TEFL course?
- Be well prepared when taking on a paid or unpaid TEFL job abroad.
- Increase your chances of finding a job abroad with an internationally recognised TEFL certificate.
- Get the confidence to step into your first classroom as a teacher by doing a comprehensive TEFL course.
- Boost your earning potential by completing the industry standard of 120 hours of TEFL training or more.
- Take your TEFL course with an internationally recognized and accredited provider.
TEFL weekend courses 2018
- 8 & 9 September
- 6 & 7 October
- 3 & 4 November
- 1 & 2 December
When booking a weekend course - please fill the prefered date in the comments section on the booking form.
- TEFL literally means Teaching English as a Foreign Language and a TEFL qualification will allow you to teach English all over the world! No teaching experience? No problem! If you can speak English you can teach English! In a nutshell, a TEFL course is a training program which gives you the skills and confidence you need to teach English as a foreign language.
- The length and depth of the course may vary, but all the TEFL courses that JoHo offers, cover the skills needed to teach English to foreign learners. You'll be taught how to make lessons interesting, how to teach different student levels and how to motivate your class so they really want to learn.
- Get your internationally recognized TEFL qualification. Study at your own pace from anywhere in the world!
- JoHo TEFL provides you with advanced online TEFL courses! With online courses, you’ll get real feedback from expert tutors, immediate 24/7 online access to top training and a vast amount of information and resources on all subject areas to really help you strengthen your knowledge as you see fit.
- While TEFL may be taught in an English-speaking country, it is most often taught in countries where English isn't the native language. TEFL is commonly used in schools and language institutes, but you'll also find it being used by private tutors and volunteers.
- Find out more about teaching hotspots under our FAQ's.
- TEFL tutors do not need to be native English speakers and can originate from anywhere in the world. In some countries TEFL tutors are required to have a degree (in any subject) but there are also many countries where you can find a well paid teaching position without one.
- Exactly how much you will be paid largely depends upon where you are working, how much experience you have and the type of institute you are working at. Some TEFL tutors choose to volunteer, others seek merely to cover their travel costs and others seek to start a long-term career with high wages and future prospects. When looking for a teaching position, it's important that you bear in mind the cost of living in your chosen country. What looks like a very low wage could turn out to be a fortune in comparison to how much you will be spending while you're away.
- The TEFL course consists of a combination of various modules.
120 hour online TEFL Course
- With the 'job ready' professional course you will do the basic course ánd develop your skills, to deepen your lessons, make them more interactive and deal with different student levels. Moreover, it helps you to market yourself as a TEFL teacher.
Online Specialization modules
- There are some lucrative TEFL jobs out there, and they're looking for the right people with the right training to fill them. That’s why we have created a range of specialist modules, designed by our expert TEFL tutors, which give you extra training to fulfil the current needs of the TEFL world and to boost your potential salary.
- Whether you're just starting out on your TEFL journey, or you've finished your TEFL course already, these specialist modules will benefit you. You don't even need to be enrolled in one of the TEFL courses, you can still benefit from this additional training - everyone is welcome!
There are four types of specialization modules:
Grammar module (20h)
It is one thing to speak English fluently yourself, but you also have to be able to explain the grammar rules of English to a non-native speaker and make him understand it. The online grammar course (20 hours, 5 hours per module) helps you to not only thoroughly know the English grammar rules yourself, but also to be able to clarify these to your students.
Teaching Young Learners (30h)
Designed for TEFL students who are planning to teach children between the ages of 6 and 12. Learn key skills such as motivation techniques and how to give someone their first English lesson. If you’re going to be teaching children aged between 6-12 years old, you’re going to love this cheeky little module. It’s designed specifically for young learners.
Teaching English One-to-One (60h)
When you start teaching abroad, you will always find opportunities to do private lessons and earn extra cash. Learning what to do with your first one-to-one student is essential for any first time teacher. You can earn plenty of extra cash when TEFLing through private lessons with students. Learn how to effectively develop your first one-to-one student in this essential module.
Teaching Business English (60h)
Perfect for people who plan to teach more advanced students with the aim of helping them to develop their communication skills for business. An expanding and extremely lucrative market. Help students with advanced English skills and develop their abilities to meet the ever-increasing demands of the modern world for business purposes – extremely lucrative jobs await!
What will specialist certificates do for me?
- Help your cv stand out in a competitive market - outta my way!
- Increase your potential salary - yes please!
- Take your certification in a specific direction - bring on the bucks!
- Get exposed to a wide variety of job opportunities - jobs galore!
- Boost your confidence - learn skills to cover common TEFL scenarios!
Overview of the online TEFL courses
Which TEFL course suits you best depends on what you want to do with your TEFL certificate and also on your previous working experience. Important to know is that the amount of hours you have spent on your TEFL course are visible on your TEFL certificate. This will be an important consideration for a potential employer deciding your competence. If you choose for a less extensive course, you should be able to compensate this with other experiences or knowledge.
Specialization modules help you to specialize for various teaching situations. Therefore, these modules are useful for both experienced and inexperienced teachers, in order to increase your chances of finding a job.
- For all your questions left after reading the information on this and the other pages, please refer to the frequently asked questions.
China: currently over 300 million Chinese are learning English, so it is not surprising that most teaching jobs can be found in China.
Brasil: In Brasil there are a lot of opportunities for teaching English at big companies and thousands of language schools throughout the country; from small villages to big cities.
Ecuador and Chile: Also in these countries the economic growth results in an increased demand for English teachers. Start teaching in one of the many language schools in this country.
Czech Republic: Here and in other eastern European countries the wish to connect more with the rest of Europe results in more and more people willing to start learning English.
Spain: Because of the Euro crisis, it is harder to get a job in Spain. However, job opportunities for English teachers are increasing strongly because of this, since a lot of Spanish job seekers are trying to increase their prospect on the labor market by learning English.
Yes, the grammar module is online, just like the professional course and the specialization modules.
- Online TEFL-courses are available in: 120 hours and extra specialization courses . Take a look at all the TEFL online courses.
- The actual difference between TEFL and TESOL is very small. TEFL stand for Teaching English as a Foreign Language and TESOL stands for Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages. TEFL is usually associated with teaching English to students in their home country, where English almost never is the primary language. TESOL is more associated with teaching (non-native English speaking) students, who live in an English speaking country.
- Important to know is that if a job vacancy implies that you need a TESOL-qualification, those with a TEFL-qualification will also be invited and vice versa.
- During the online course, a teacher will be appointed to you, who will give feedback on your assignments of each module. After having received positive feedback you can proceed to the next module. Your teacher also is your contact person during the course.
- Take a look at the TEFL advice text to find out which TEFL course is most suitable for you.
- The course is available for all ages and education levels. The only requirement is the ability to speak English. There is no test for this at the start of the course, but keep in mind that you will be standing in front of a class room one day, so a good level of English is essential.
- You need to have a PC or Mac with internet access. To be able to watch the videos, Adobe Flash Player has to be installed on your computer. If you have a fairly new computer with a fast internet connection, you will not have any problems.
Check here if your computer and internet connection meet the requirements:
Windows 2000 or Mac OSX 10.4 ('Tiger') (otherwise your computer will be too slow to upload the course)
Mozilla Firefox, Microsoft Internet explorer, Google Chrome or Apple Safari (latest version)
Last version of Macromedia/Adobe Flash Player (to be able to watch the videos)
Internet connection (with at least 500 kbps)
- Look here for more information about the contents of all TEFL courses.
- Yes, the TEFL-course is acknowledged worldwide. This means that after succeeding the course, you can start working as English teacher at thousands of schools and language institutions worldwide.
- The moment you receive the email with log in codes is the moment your online course starts officially. From that moment on you have thee months time to complete the course.
- After booking an online or combi TEFL course, you will receive an email with log in codes for the online part of your TEFL course. From the day you received this email, you have exactly 70 days time to finish the course. The log in period for an online TEFL course is thus always 70 days. The log in period for the specialist courses vary from 30 to 60 days. Most TEFL students finish the online course within 2 months. Per course module an estimate is given for how much time you will approximately spend on the specific module, but of course there will always be individual differences. If you do not manage to finish the course within 70 days, it is possible to extent the log in time, for an additional fee. However, it is a lot cheaper to book an extension together with your initial TEFL course booking. Look here for the exact prices of extending your log in time.
- Yes, the online TEFL courses available via JoHo are developed by a prominent international TEFL language institution. This language institution has its headquarters in Great Britain and is accredited by the ODLQC (Open and Distance Learning Quality Council). The ODLQC was originally established by the British government and focuses on quality of open and distance learning. The ODLQC has examined and approved the quality of the TEFL course and continuously checks the quality of this course.
- You can start your TEFL course once full payment has been received. Paying for the course in terms would mean that you can only start the course after you have paid the last term, so it is not more beneficial than paying everything at once. Therefore, paying in terms is not possible.
- There is no active teaching element in the online course, but it does contain video's of a teacher in a classroom which you will analyze. Besides, you have the possibility to participate in webinars through your online course account.
- Included is the TEFL certificate. It is an online course, therefore you will not use books or paper materials. See FAQ 'what kind of facilities do I need to be able to do the online cour
- The creator of this course was the first to offer a complete TEFL-course online. It is still possible to do the entire course online, as long as you have internet access. A difference with other (partly) online courses is that with TEFL you do not have to download big files, like you still see in other courses. As TEFL has teachers worldwide, there is always a teacher available in your time zone who can give you quick, efficient and constructive feedback. This also applies if you do the course (partially) abroad.
During the online TEFL-course
- Go to the log in page and click on "Yes, help me log in". Your log in details will then be send to you via email.
- Assignments will be revised and provided with feedback from your own teacher within two working days.
- After your access to the online course has expired, you will also lose access to all information and assignments. If you want to save them, for example as a helpful tool for preparing a class later on, make sure you save the assignments on your computer or to print them before your access has expired.
- You can not book the specialization or grammar modules as single items if you don't follow a TEFL course. You can, however, add modules once you started a TEFL course. You can do this via your own online TEFL account. After you have done this, the log in term will be extended with another 90 days, to make sure you have sufficient time to complete the course.
After the TEFL course
- For a small fee you can request a duplicate.
- No, the certificate enjoys worldwide acknowledgement and accreditation and has no specific 'expiration date'. On the certificate the date (month/year) on which you completed the course is mentioned. It is suggested to keep training your teaching skills, your theoretical knowledge and practical experience, because the value of your certificate depends on your CV and the kind and amount of work experience (voluntarily or paid) you have had after the TEFL course.
- The certificates you receive are internationally acknowledged, so you can start teaching worldwide! Of course there will be differences between and within regions in the demand for teachers and basic conditions.
- Yes, also participants who do not have English as their native language find jobs worldwide in teaching English. The certificate is no guarantee for this, but it will increase your chances considerably. If you are not a native English speaker, employers will look at the number of hours you spend on your TEFL course and it is required that you at least completed the grammar module in order to be considered for a paid job. Also consider that a good CV and motivation letter, the amount of time you want to commit for, former work experience and being well prepared for an application interview are important for increasing your chances. It is also possible that an employer wants you to have a college or university degree and/or to proof that you speak English well (for example by asking for the results of a TOEFL or IELTS test). In most cases, however, the TEFL certificate will be sufficient.
- No, there will not be a final exam to finish the TEFL course. During the online course you have to finish each module with an assignment, which will be revised and provided with by your teacher. You can proceed to the next module once your assignment is approved by your teacher. This way you work from module to module. When you have finished all modules of your course, you will receive the TEFL certificate. In the unlikely event you only complete the basic module and not the grammar and/or specialization modules, you will still receive a certificate of the basic module.
- After you successfully completed a module of your TEFL course (the basic course, grammar module and specialization module), you will receive a digital certificate (in pdf) of that specific module. You can download these certificates via your online TEFL account. Do not forget to download and save these certificates before the access to your TEFL account expires.
- Within about four weeks after finishing the complete TEFL course, you will also receive a combined certificate with all the course modules you have completed (per mail). The amount of hours of your TEFL course and the date on which you finished the course will also be stated on your certificate.
- IMPORTANT: You will only receive this combined certificate if you have successfully completed all modules of the course and also filled in the questionnaires after finishing all course modules.
TEFL Courses Abroad
For TEFL courses with and without job guarantee in
-Nils-: "I was planning to be a teacher in Asia (Japan). And now I am a teacher in Japan at a pre-school. But I teach older kids as well (after school). I thought the course was very good. Different than I expected, but in a good way. And the situations they describe in the course are really helpful in real life."