What is this book about?
- This handbook is widely used as a thorough introduction to mathematical functions and the basics of math.
- Mathematics are discussed in relation to their use in economics and practical application.
- In comparison to other books on mathematics, this book gives step-by-step guidance, while still providing a thorough explanation of various mathematical topics.
What is the structure of the book?
Chapter 1, 2, 3. Introductory topics, such as logic, algebra and equations.
Chapter 4. One variable
Chapter 5. Functions
Chapter 6. Differentation
Chapter 7. Derivatives
Chapter 8. Single-variable optimization
Chapter 9. Integration
Chapter 10. Financial economics
Chapter 11. Many variables
Chapter 12. Comparative statics
Chapter 13. Multivariable optimization
Chapter 14. Constrained optimization
Chapter 15. Matrix and vector algebra
Chapter 16. Determinants and inverse matrices
Chapter 17. Linear programming
What are the main differences between the 4th edition and 5th edition?
- The introductory chapter on topics such as logic and set theory is moved from chapter 3 to chapter 1.
- Chapter 10, on Financial economics, has been changed in the way it is given form, the content has remained largely the same.
- New exercises have been added.
- The history of mathematical and economic has been expanded upon more, as have the scientists behind the ideas.
- Other than this, very little has changed in the 5th edition. The summary of the 4th edition can also very well be used for the 5th edition.